Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Aluminum threshold on cement floor (follow up)

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2013 6:55 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

* Need a coat hanger wire with tape flag, to
make sure the holes are deep enough.

Why not just put the tape flag on the bit?

SM: Too obvious. I could also note by how much
flute is showing, on the side of the bit.

Sure, if you have a calibrated eye or the bit is marked. Oh, wait, marking
the bit...that's what the tape is for.

* If the screw stops going in, the hole isn't
yet deep enough. Stop immediately, remove screw,
and hammer drill deeper.

If you used a hanger with a tape flag, why would you start driving the
screw without knowing if the hole was deep enough?

SM: If the screw stops, it's because I don't have
a hanger with tape flag on this job. I'm planning
one for NEXT job.

....or tape on the bit.

The Tapcons come with "depth instructions". Did yours not? I guess I'm not
seeing a reason to start driving the screw before knowing whether or not
the hole was deep enough. Anything deeper than the screw length by at least
1/2" should suffice.

SM: Mine were Hillman, and yes they came with depth instructions.

Probably should have followed them. ;-)