Posted to alt.home.repair
Lab Lover Lab Lover is offline

Default Kitchen Timer

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 18:59:40 -0500, Nil wrote:

Can anyone recommend a fairly priced mechanical kitchen timer? I've
gone through three cheap Chinese ones in the past year. All of them
worked OK at first and then crapped out after a few weeks or months.

I want one that ticks and has a loud, sustaining bell (not just one
that goes *dink* once.) I like the ticking so I can tell it's still
counting down without looking at it, and the long bell so I can hear it
while in another room.

I can't seem to find anything but the cheapie Chinese ones, and they
all seem to be unreliable, according to reviews on amazon.com and my
own personal experience. I did find a couple of ones that seemed to be
marketed toward professional kitchens. Great, except they were selling
for over $100. I can't quite bring myself to pay that kind of dough
just to time my dough.

This is a different approach. If you have a computer nearby, this site is
fantastic as a kitchen timer. When cooking something that needs timing, I end
up in front of the computer which is quite a distance from the kitchen. This
can be made very loud depending upon the sound system in your computer.

http://www.timer-tab.com/