Posted to uk.d-i-y
dennis@home dennis@home is offline

Default Contactor Vs Relay ?

On 01/01/2014 16:19, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
HI Folks
Some advice please.
I'm working on the control gear for a homebuilt glass-fusing kiln.
It's using a commercial digital controller, which provides a switched
output @ 12v DC.
Final load is two resistive wire elements, each rated @ 240v / 15A.

I can either feed the controller output through a small relay, to
provide a switched 240v AC, or source a high-current Relay / Contactor
that will accept the 12v. At the moment, I'm leaning towards the 'slave
relay' approach, as I don't know what current the control board can supply.

I'd rather not go the fully electronic route with a solid state relay
for the final device - I rather like things that go 'clunk' grin.

Looking at CPC, high powered relays are available, as are contactors,
but the relays tend to be cheaper. What's best in this application? - is
a contactor 'overkill' - or berely 'prudent' ?

Thanks for any informed comments.
Adrian

Aren't contactors just relays with extra bits to drive high inductive loads?

Being a resistive load a relay should be fine.