Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_7_] Leon[_7_] is offline

Default Staining

On 12/31/2013 6:37 PM, Meanie wrote:
On 12/31/2013 10:42 AM, Leon wrote:

To date there are 1,233,367 correct answers and as many incorrect
answers.

The most common of stains require one coat and multiple coats of clear
to protect the finish.

Some stains have a finish built in. That sounds like what you might be
using. Minwax by any chance?

Oh oh, you're on to me.

Any brand recommendation?

Well from me, anything but Minwax. I have never had any good
experiences with it. Now that I have said that, others have had stellar
results with the product. It may be that I expect much more from a product.

Brand recommendations and top on my list is Old Masters gel varnish. I
understand that their gel varnishes are top shelf however I have not yet
used their stains yet.

Next down on my list is General Finishes. I have used their stains for
many years and recently have been using their water based dyes. FWIW I
would advise going with oil based over water based any time you have the
choice.

With any gel stain or varnish, read the directions. But specifically
with Old Masters gel "varnishes" apply one to two square feet at a time
and IMMEDIATELY wipe that area down with a new clean lent free cloth to
remove the excess, you might use 2~3 of the initial wiping clothes
during an application. I wipe quickly enough that I get away using
Scott Blue shop paper towels.

Now this is key, after wiping the excess off, wipe it again lightly with
a different clean cloth. 2~3 coats will normally be necessary to get an
even sheen.

Alternatively if you want to build a heavier thicker coat more quickly,
I use General Finishes Arm-R-Seal oil based varnish. I apply the first
coat with a rag as indicated on the directions.

I apply the second coat with, now this is key, A "Wooster" brand foam
brush. DO NOT USE a cheap inexpensive foam brush!. I find these
Wooster brand brushes at Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Wooster-2...0020/204302391

I buy General Finishes at my local Woodcraft and Rockler stores.
I buy Old Masters gel varnish by the case from my local paint Store.

The trouble with a built in
finish/varnish is that you are essentially staining wood and then
staining varnish with each successive coat. The trouble also is that
while you might not want to go any darker with successive coats the
surface may not be properly protected, this is often visible by the
appearance of shinny and dull spots.

For best results, read the directions on the can.

If you don't like the results, try another brand. Not all stains and
varnishes are created equal and you absolutely will get different
results.

A few rules to consider.

1. Don't scrimp on the finish. The quality of the stain/finish can
make a great looking project look terrible. This is no time to start
trying to save a few dollars.

I don't have a problem paying for a good product. I just need to learn
what they are.

2. Don't try a, new to you, product on your project piece, always
practice on scraps of the same wood. It is much better to change brands
before apply to your project if you don't like the results.

On scraps of the same wood, it looks good, but with a small piece, it's
difficult to grasp the color as a whole or to discover the shiny and
dull mixtures.

;~) Use a bigger scrap.

Shiny and dull is part of the process of applying a clear finish. With
a stain mixed in the finish tends to get darker as you apply more coats.

I understand I'll need to practice with varying techniques and products,
I'm hoping some tips would help me avoid minor catastrophes.

Thanks

Gel Finishes tend to be extremely easy to use providing you IMMEDIATELY
remove the excess as indicated in the directions. Typically you do not
need to sand between coats.