Posted to sci.electronics.repair
dave dave is offline

Default Turntable feedback from nearby speaker

On 12/30/2013 03:47 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"dave"
Phil Allison wrote:
"dave"

Why not fly the speakers?

** IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE !!

How many discoteques have you built, Phil?

** I used to build custom disco consoles for a living and designed and
prototyped a disco mixer that went into production.

For a long time, most of my customers were in the disco hire business, now
only few are.

But there is not much similarity between disco and home stereo systems -
which I have huge experience with.

And YOU seem to have no experience or knowledge of either.

So go **** yourself - ****head.

.... Phil

He says to the man who for years would seek out a living room with a
concrete floor so I can play my vinyl louder.

Decoupling the speaker from the phono cartridge at the natural resonant
frequency of the system is essential. Usually this frequency is lower
than the LF cutoff off the transducer/cabinet making sound so the LF
feedback transmission mode is through objects more solid than air. If
both speakers and TT are on a giant cement slab with great mass, nothing
vibrates except the speaker cones in the air and the stylus.

If the floor is wood over joists the room turns into a giant sounding
board. Vibrations from the speakers easily overcome the damping
mechanism in the turntable and the speaker cones start flapping in
unnatural efforts to reproduce the infrasonic.

I have never turned up the gain enough to make the stylus feedback in
free air; it is almost always a mechanical path. Speaker to floor. Floor
to turntable. Floors also couple to walls, walls to the ceiling; but
there is enough attenuation in this mechanical path to allow the damping
in the turntable base to take care of the residual vibrations.

You can hang the speakers (I have flown many L-100, Century 100, etc.
JBL monitors in just this fashion) or you can hang the turntable (weird,
but very doable and a must in houses where people walking can make the
needle jump.)

In commercial applications too numerous to mention I have left a trail
of weird fixes (and several tons of bagged Redy-Mix concrete) in my wake.

Now, being the "**** head" that I am, off to go **** myself. You should too.