Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lobster Lobster is offline

Default Crimping

On 30 Dec 2013, DerbyBorn grunted in
.236:

A friend (some years ago) managed to drill through a ring main cable
in his kitchen. An electrician fitted a box and blanking cover and
re-wired the section down to a socket that was fed by this damaged
cable.

He would like to do away with the blanking plate as he wants to
position a cupboard that will be half over where the blanking plate is
and do some tiling.

I seem to recall that properly crimped connections are permitted - and
that these can be buried in plaster (with a bit of protection).

Can someone point me to the authoritative information on this? He will
be using an electrician - but wants to instruct the work correctly as
one electrican has already wanted to re-wire back to another room and
the disruption is not considered worthwhile.

I had a similar problem myself a few years back when I had to get an
electrician (NICEIC qualified, etc) in to sort out a wiring problem,
which turned out to have been caused by a previous occupier of the house
having put a picture hook through a buried cable. Regardless of what I
tried to say about the regs, he was adamant that crimping/soldering etc
was unacceptable and the whole cable run had to be replaced (which, to
be fair, he managed to do very effectively).

You might find similar... possibly worth asking the question over the
phone as a hypothetical before engaging a particular electrician.

(One thing I've learned over the years is that however tactfully it's
done, tradesmen do not like having a layman telling them about
regulations...!)

--
David