Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default Staining

On Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:42:28 AM UTC-6, Leon wrote:
Meanie wrote: .... is there a general rule for staining?

LOL (laughing with/at Leon's answer). How about let's just concentrate on the issue you are now having.

When viewing the wood directly, it looks fine. When I lay it down and view it with light reflection, I can see some shiny spots and dull spots, which I simply think it's just the way the stain absorbed into the wood based on it's texture/grain.

For best results, read the directions on the can. If you don't like the results, try another brand. Not all stains and varnishes are created equal and you absolutely will get different results.

Stain, not a dye: Some/most instructions state to wipe off the excess. We may comprehend "wiping" differently. Often times, I wipe and rub hard, to absolutely get all the obvious wetness off the surface. Even very little or slight wetness/"puddling" (thicker in some spots, because of non-uniform wiping off of the excess) can result in the results you describe, hence, one cause of those results.

For our better understanding, what stain did you use, what was your application technique, and what type of wood?

Sonny