Posted to rec.woodworking
Dave Balderstone[_3_] Dave Balderstone[_3_] is offline

Default Staining

In article , Meanie
wrote:

When staining wood, how many coats are normal? Do some stain and nothing
more or do some lacquer over it? I understand it will probably depend on
several variables such as stain color, stain type, sanding prep (final
grit) and wood but is there a general rule for staining?

I'm encountering an slight concern after staining cedar with two coats
though I'm uncertain if it's normal. When viewing the wood directly, it
looks fine. When I lay it down and view it with light reflection, I can
see some shiny spots and dull spots, which I simply think it's just the
way the stain absorbed into the wood based on it's texture/grain. I'm
trying to determine if I should add another coat or lacquer over it and
be done.

What say the experts?

When I stain, I usually use General Finishes' water-based stains, then
finish with spraying a topcoat of their pre-cat poly.

I apply the stain by hand, with as many coats as needed to get the
color I want. Typically 2 or 3, but as many as 5 or 6.

However, there is no finish in the stain...