Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Full Size Spare - Or lug nut torque?

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 19:21:39 +0000 (UTC), DerbyDad03
wrote:

Better than half of vehicles are "stud centric", not "hub centric"
and they use the same studs and nuts.

It's not clear to me what you are trying to say. Please explain.

This was a 1986 Subaru. The bolt pattern of the "wrong" wheels was the same
as the correct ones, but the wheels definitely did not fit the car
correctly. If my memory serves me correctly (it's been a while) the center
of the wheel did not fit over the hub and therefore the wheels were not
"inboard" enough.

Rough numbers, picture a tapered hub on the car, with a max diameter of 3".
Now picture a wheel with a 2.75" hole in the center. The wheel fit over the
hub and studs but not all the way in against the rotor. There was a gap
that allowed the wheel to move side to side while driving, eventually
loosening the lug nuts and damaging the studs. The mechanic probably just
tightened the lug nuts, never realizing that the wheel was not seated up
against the rotor.

OK - I think I understand you now. The wheel center hole was too
SMALL for the hub. I thought you were blaming the problem on the wheel
center being too LARGE for the hub.
Yes, if the rim could not seat all the way it WOULD cause a problem,
and the "mechanic" who installed the wheels was blind and dumb.

The "mechanic" likely attempted to install Toyota wheels. The Soob
takes metric 5 wheels - 5 on 100, with 56.1 counterbore. The Toyota
bolt circle is the same, but the counterbore is a lousy 2mm smaller
(at 54.1mm)