Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Dead door chimes

On 30 Dec 2013 18:01:27 GMT, KenK wrote:

My GE umpteen-year-old wireless door chimes have been erratic recently and
finally died. Yesterday they would only sound every third or fourth button
press, then quit entirely. I still had the second door button/transmitter I
got with the chimes and kept in the refrig to preserve the _expensive!_
battery. It doesn't work either. I checked the batteries in place with a
DVM and the current door button's battery was at about 80% but the second

80% of original battery voltage is as good as dead.

The proper way (not that I do it) to measure battery voltage is with a
load on it greater than the load of even I think an analog meter.
Some digital meters have settings just for checking 1.5 and 9volt
batteries, and probably 12. But I just try a new battery if the meter
readign doesn't show it's for sure bad.

Then I save the maybe battery in a maybe-bag, and use it for things
that don't take much power.

was 100%. The chime batteries were very recently replaced and 100%. I can't
think of anything else to check that I can replace.

Try the battery from the fridge in the front door button. Then try
a new battery there.

Any suggestions for a cheap new one - locally available (mail order
shipping is too darn expensive for many things!)? Too hard for an old man
like me to run wire from a button to a buzzer.

Sorry.

TIA