Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Full Size Spare - Or Is It?

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013 05:19:14 -0800 (PST), TimR
wrote:

On Monday, December 30, 2013 7:30:58 PM UTC-5, Larry W wrote:
When my daughter got her driver's license I taught her how to change

a tire. You may want to consider doing the same...

I've taught my daughters just in case. But when the shop puts on the lugnuts with an air wrench, it's usually impossible for them to break them loose, and often for me. One time we couldn't get them off jumping on a cheater bar.

Should have bought them a proper tire iron for Christmas.

I guess there's supposed to be a torque setting on those things but it must be routinely ignored.

Yes, but if they don't, it's time to find someone else to do your
work. They're hacks and can warp your rotors.

Question: do you guys put the bolts/nuts (depending on the car) on dry with the recommended torque? Or do you lube them and reduce the torque? I normally never put a fastener on dry, but I've been unsure about wheels.