Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Full Size Spare - Or Is It?

On Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:17:30 -0700, Tony Hwang
wrote:

Irreverent Maximus wrote:
On 12/30/2013 8:05 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/30/2013 8:55 AM, Retired wrote:

Read this article from Edmunds
http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/th...pare-tire.html
where they say
"Edmunds has only been tracking the use of repair kits since 2009, but
the list of cars with no spare tire is growing. According to Edmunds.com
data, 47 more models now have repair kits. That's a 204 percent increase
in cars that use them as a spare tire substitute. Repair kits are
standard in 21 percent of the current vehicles available and outnumber
the cars that come with run-flat tires."

The vehicles I've had for the last few years, tire
problems are a real concern. They go flat, and one
time I had the lugs loosen and cause trouble a
couple days after doing some brake work. I'd sure
prefer to have a full size spare if possible.

Buy one and quit yer bitchen. :-)

Hi,
You know what? When I buy new vehicle one condition is getting a full
size spare tire on a matching rim. The dealer has to include it on a
deal. Up front I tell them that is what I want/need
on my new car.

I did that with my '01 Ranger. I specifically bought the "full sized
spare" option. "Full sized" meant that it was a 15" tire on a 15"
(steel) wheel, even though the truck had 16" aluminum wheels. IIRC,
the tires were 235R16s with the spare being a 215R15. It never came
off the tire sling.