Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

Bill wrote:
Swingman wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Markem

Biggest problem is it melts when cut with high speed implements is
what I experienced. I can set my bandsaw on slow as she goes and avoid
the melting problem.
I didn't have a problem with that when I cut Lexan on my table saw a
year
or so ago. And I've
cut plexiglas (acrylic) on the table saw many times without a
melting problem.

Same experience. AAMOF, the company I buy mine from has a Unisaw with a
carbide blade setup in their shop specifically for that purpose. I have
them rough cut the big sheets to make them easier to carry, then cut to
spec on my table saw.

I've also made angled cuts in polycarbonates using the TS-75 with no
problems, and Have also used spiral router bits with good results.

IME, the key component for good results seems to be high quality,
carbide
blades; and high quality spiral bits for routing.

I don't doubt Swingman for a second. But after looking at $70 router
bits (w/bearing), one become curious what they might accomplish with a
BS and emery cloth. Even with a good router bit, the result would
depend on making a good template. And this is a "One-of"-project. With
the "naive approach", I would double-face tape two pieces together and
cut and sand to the line. Please assess.

I am considering using my router template (bushings?) kit, along with
some double-fluted bits. According to the the folks who make Makrolon,
HSS double or triple fluted bits can be used on the material (of course,
that may indeed yield a lower standard). That raised a thought: It
seems like, given a choice, one would want to use larger diameter bits,
both for stability and to help disiplate any heat--though it would
increase the effective speed (proportionally with diameter). In
contrast, all of the spiral bits I've seen are of small diameter. I
don't argue that smaller bits may be more versatile. I would have
experimented already, but I'm going to have to make a make-shift router
table to accomplish this task.

Bill