Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Staining

On 12/31/2013 9:58 AM, Meanie wrote:
When staining wood, how many coats are normal? Do some stain and nothing
more or do some lacquer over it? I understand it will probably depend on
several variables such as stain color, stain type, sanding prep (final
grit) and wood but is there a general rule for staining?

I'm encountering an slight concern after staining cedar with two coats
though I'm uncertain if it's normal. When viewing the wood directly, it
looks fine. When I lay it down and view it with light reflection, I can
see some shiny spots and dull spots, which I simply think it's just the
way the stain absorbed into the wood based on it's texture/grain. I'm
trying to determine if I should add another coat or lacquer over it and
be done.

What say the experts?

Thank you

Appearance is subjective. Normally, one coat is right, but some woods
don't absorb the stain evenly. In that case, you either like the blotch
or you use a pre-stain (mineral spirits will do) to help even it out.

I think you are right about the shiny versus dull spots. If you like
the overall appearance, let it dry and top coat it. If you don't like
it, go back and wipe some stain on the lighter parts.

There are entire books dedicated to finishing written by people far more
knowledgeable than me. You may want to check them out at some point.