Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default OT - Full Size Spare - Or Is It?

Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 12/31/2013 9:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

This is the technique I learned years ago:

To loosen the lugs, I jack the vehicle up just enough to take most of the
weight off of the tire, but not enough to loose contact with the ground.
Once the lugs are slightly loose, I jack the vehicle up until the tire is
off the ground and then remove the lug nuts and tire.

I reverse the procedure when installing the tire. I snug the lug nuts
enough to draw the tire up against the hub and then lower the vehicle until
the tire touches the ground. Once the tire has a little weight on it, I
tightened the lug nuts until I feel that they are "tight enough".

I've never had a lug nut become loose using this procedure and I've always
been able to get the lug nuts off when I've wanted to.

"once the lugs are slightly loose". Is that like
"add water and heat"?

Uh, no. Not even close.

Leaves out the critical
details. How does one loosen the lugs, please?

I'm slightly confused by your question.

I loosen the lug nuts with a lug nut wrench and (sometimes) a piece of pipe
for leverage. Why does that matter? The procedure would be the same
regardless of what kind of tool I use.