Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - Full Size Spare - Or Is It?

On 12/31/2013 10:20 AM, TimR wrote:

Here's how I did it last time. It was not a flat, I needed to change to another set of tires to pass inspection. The other set was in the garage already mounted, all I had to do was jack the car up and swap them.

So I dragged the kids away from their video games. "Daddy's going to teach you how to change a tire." groans and grumbles

Put the jack under the car. Raise it a little. Put the lug wrench on the lug. Pull as hard as I can. Turn red. Children laughing. Go to the garage and get 4 foot length of 1 inch water pipe. Pull as hard as I can. Turn red. Children still laughing. Stand on water pipe. Jump up and down. Where are the kids? Guess they gave up. Put tires in trunk, drive to service station, borrow an air wrench and floor jack. They were closed but the mechanic was still there and didn't even charge me to use the tools.

I've had some success with the T shaped "star
wrench". Pull up on the right, and put my foot
on the left. Lean my fat against the vehicle.

Sounds like an obvious case of mechanic put
the lugs on too tight with air wrench. There
have been cases of damaged wheels and warped
rotors with that "air wrench madness".

--
..
Christopher A. Young