Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default New Printers with Drivers for Older OS's

On 12/28/2013 04:22 PM, sms wrote:
On 12/27/2013 2:22 PM, Guv Bob wrote:
"Bob_Villa" wrote in message

Do any of the major printer makers have Win2000 drivers for their new
machines? Even if the old OS computer only make up 5% of the
market, they are still losing a decent amount of sales.

I have the opposite need. I want a newer OS with drivers for older
printers. I can't use my favorite printer anymore.

If you have Win7/8 but your device does not have any drivers newer than
XP/win2k...
you can get it to work. If the driver package is a self-extracting
executable you will need to unpack it first.

Once you do that, you can install your device but you will have to OK
installing an unsigned driver.

Though I have gotten this to work with no problems...and Win7/8 is
pretty good about rolling back drivers that could potentially harm your
system...this would have to be done at your own risk as there is no
absolute guarantee.

Though there are plenty of utilities that will extract the files from
the self-extracting installer,I used to simply start the process but not
cancel it when I got the message about the OS not being supported...
then simply copy the files from the temporary location to a folder
elsewhere.