Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Hmmmm.... table saw cabinet twisted after moving between shops...options?

On 12/30/2013 11:45 AM, wrote:

... reassembling my 3 hp Steel City hybrid saw, ...Aligning
the slot with the blade, I can only get it within about .050" with all
the bolts in. Huh... runout, perhaps? I take the two bolts out on the
non-tilt wheel side of the table and attempt to realign it. Now I can
easily get .004". Crap. So they twisted the frame of my saw. I should
have bought a steel plate and bolted it to the top of my cabinet. But I
didn't.

I can get all four bolts in the top through the holes in the saw
frame but then the alignment is crap at best.

_NOT_ runout; totally different measurement.

I'll mostly echo Morgans' response but w/ a slightly different suggestion...

Presuming the bolt locations are symmetric, measuring the diagonals
would be easier to determine the amount off and in which direction.

Then knowing that, put a bolt well into the two locations on the longer
measurementand use a heavy wire loop and then twisting will shorten that
dimension. Release and repeat measurement until stays in desired
location; you'll undoubtedly have to go a little extra with the
inevitable spring-back.

This will work even if the holes aren't symmetric as far as an easy way
to move it without needing any external bracing and trying to twist
externally. If they're not symmetric you can possibly get actual
factory dimensions from Steel City.