Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] mroberds@att.net is offline

Default HP 4M problem, redux

William Sommerwerck wrote:
In desperation, I pulled the firmware memory card and reseated it.

Do you mean the SIMM that makes it speak PostScript, or the other
thing? (I think there's another thing. My 4M is a few miles away at
the moment.) That PostScript SIMM goes in the same row of sockets as
the regular RAM SIMMs.

And again, when I pulled and reseated the firmware memory card --
that fixed it.

I used to send PostScript to my 4M and let the printer interpret it.
With complex print jobs, this led to some *long* wait times before
the first page came out. I finally got the brain wave that, unlike
when the 4M was new, my PC now has about a zillion times more CPU than
the printer. So now I let the PC render the PostScript and just send
bitmaps to the printer; that works a lot better.

Under Windows, you should be able to do this by saying you have a
LaserJet 4, rather than a 4M. Pull the PostScript SIMM out of the
printer if you want to make really sure.

Curioser and curioser... Perhaps the contacts need a bit of ProGold?

Or there is some other solder joint on the board that gets flexed when
you cycle the firmware card.

Matt Roberds