BruceR

Default jointer + planer/thicknesser $$$ break-even point

igor wrote:
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 15:10:10 GMT, Daniel wrote:

Hello,

Does anyone have a *rough* estimate on how much rough-sawn wood one has
to put through these two pieces of machinery to get to the point where
you just break even on your machinery purchase, compared to purchasing
surfaced lumber at higher costs?

I realize there are many variables to this question, and that wood and
machinery costs vary, so let's assume:
- hobbyist jointer (maybe a Delta JT360?)
- (not too) low-end planer (Delta TP400 or something like that)
- North America native hardwoods like oak, maple, poplar; nothing exotic

I have no specific preference for Delta, other than that I seem to be
able to find them advertised online at local stores (Toronto, ON, CA area).

IMO, this is an excellent question, well put - even though, as you know,
there is no definitive answer. As someone who does not own either of these
two pieces of equipment, I look forward to reading the reply comments of
people here. -- Igor

Very difficult to answer quantitatively but one can look into the
effects a bit.
A lumber yard/mill can sell you planed/jointed lumber for a $ premium
over rough sawn. To stay in business, they need to factor in the cost of
the machinery, cost of consumables (blades), cost of operation (labor)
and cost of waste (wood chips). There are a number of smaller cost as
well, but the idea is to pass the net sum of these costs on to the
consumer as a price differential between rough sawn and surfaced lumber.
Of course the lumber yard might absorb some of these costs by profits
earned on other sales to give the appearance of a bargain, but in the
end the consumer does pay for all the expenses. Usually a large planer
is cheaper to operate and maintain than a typical home shop portable
unit over their lifetimes, but then again the home shop essentially gets
"free" labor. My guess is you definitely are "saving" money with your
own equipment but the payback time probably is close to the lifespan of
a portable planer. That is, you'll have to use enough wood to basically
burn out a planer at home to justify the lower cost of rough sawn wood
on a strictly dollar basis. For some people this may take many years,
for others it may take only a year, but then those "high use" people
generally should be buying the heavier equipment in the first place,
putting them on par with the lumber yards. The cost difference then
boils down to the "free" labor.

In my case the "payoff" comes much quicker since I can do "custom"
thicknesses and have the convenience of a toll that is ready when I am.

Sorry for the ramblings!

-Bruce