Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default Do Not Purchase Eset NOD32 Antivirus Software

On 12/28/2012 9:30 AM, wrote:
I had purchased this software, and I found it to be useable, but quite unequal to many of the other antivirus programs out there. Furthermore, a renewal, unlike a new purchase, cost $80. So I decided to get another antivirus program. Eset does not turn off, cannot be uninstalled via the control panel, and can not be deleted. The only way to remove the program is to download the Eset uninstaller from the Eset website, go through two separate restarts, and risk damaging your computer. Had the product simply been unsatisfying, I wouldn't have said anything about it. But since the product is so difficult to remove, takes up so much disk space, slows down my computer, and constantly pops up with warnings that I have not renewed my license, I have decided that these difficulties must be a deliberate attempt to keep someone from changing to a new program. Do not buy this product, for it is terrible.

What's amazing is that people are actually purchasing any anti-virus
software at all for personal use. AVG, Avast, and Microsoft Security
Essentials are all available at no cost. For malware, there is the free
version of Malwarebytes which is excellent. Especially avoid Norton and
McAfee at all costs.

What I did purchase for some relatives is the paid version of
Malwarebytes because it has a couple of useful features that the free
version lacks, like being able to schedule scans, and real-time
protection--I know that they would never manually run scans. It's $12.99
for a lifetime subscription (when it's on sale). IT does find things
that the anti-virus software misses.