Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik[_5_] Erik[_5_] is offline

Default Kitchen Timer

On 12/29/13, 3:59 PM, Nil wrote:
Can anyone recommend a fairly priced mechanical kitchen timer? I've
gone through three cheap Chinese ones in the past year. All of them
worked OK at first and then crapped out after a few weeks or months.

I want one that ticks and has a loud, sustaining bell (not just one
that goes *dink* once.) I like the ticking so I can tell it's still
counting down without looking at it, and the long bell so I can hear it
while in another room.

I can't seem to find anything but the cheapie Chinese ones, and they
all seem to be unreliable, according to reviews on amazon.com and my
own personal experience. I did find a couple of ones that seemed to be
marketed toward professional kitchens. Great, except they were selling
for over $100. I can't quite bring myself to pay that kind of dough
just to time my dough.

I know you said mechanical.... however consider this.

A 'apartment dweller' friend big into cooking has a smallish digital
'clip on' timer she loves & uses very often.

Not only does it allow her to comfortably be out of kitchen earshot, she
also uses it for the timing laundry (so neighbors don't dump her clothes
all over), and overtime parking meter citation evasion.

Haven't talked to her in some years... if your interested, I'll try to
get hold of her and get a make/model.

Erik