Andy Jeffries

Default Newbie question: How to make finger joint cut

J. Clarke wrote:
My current thoughts lie in using a Bench Saw I already own. It's a
weak-ass, small version of a table saw... but for 2x2 it should be fine.

Of course, because it's such a cheap tool it doesn't come with a mitre
sled, so I'll be using a T shaped construction as a mitre sled (using
the top of the T to slide along the left hand side of the table).

Read the "FWIW Kickback" thread currently active on this newsgroup. Lots of
discussion there about how to do this safely.

Yeah, I'd read that...

Planning on keeping the guard and splitter in place!! ;-)

I'm also going to be clamping a bit of temporary fence in place (but
having it end before the blade starts) for spacing, but ensuring the rip
fence is away from the piece when cutting.

And... as the height isn't adjustable, I'll be placing all the bits to
be cut on top of some 18mm MDF (to raise the height so I can only cut
through half of the stock).

Whoa, STOP. I can't imagine any saw with a circular blade being quite
_that_ bad. Even the cheapest hand-held circular saws have a depth-of-cut
adjustment. DON'T use the saw you have until you've found that adjustment
or made _sure_ that it was never there

I completely understand your advice. There is definitely no height
adjustment, never was...

I've had a good look round. There is one handle for angle adjustment,
and no other missing items or stubs of missing items or holes where
missing items may have been.

Trust me, I take shop safety very seriously. I always use goggles no
matter what I'm doing, never wear jewellery (even my wedding ring), no
loose clothing.

I know I work with incredibly cheap tools, so I have to ensure my safety
practices are more than above the minimum. In fact, I'm getting a face
shield soon.....

I'm not trying to rank on you

Don't worry about that, I'm more than happy to receive all advice.
Advice like this doesn't wind me up, it just makes me double think what
I'm doing - which can't ever be a bad thing...

I think I speak for all of us when I say
that we'd rather have you come back on Monday and report that you found out
that the saw was busted than have you not come back at all because you are
in the hospital after the saw came apart on you in the middle of a cut.

Yeah, definitely not busted... just cheap...

And yes, I'll be checking the nut that holds the blade in place before I
start work ;-)

Cheers,

Andy