Posted to alt.home.repair
notbob notbob is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On 2013-12-29, Larry W wrote:

and even aerospace industry, including the space shuttle builders among
others, all crimp rather than solder their wire connectors and terminals.

Again, depends on the application. I jes replaced all the battery
cables on my 6V golf cart. Severe corrosion where the stranded heavy
gage cables crimp into the battery lugs necessitated it. The new
one's are the same thing, so will probably encounter the same problem
eventually. I suspect this construction is more about economy than
effectiveness. Why waste money on solder when crimp will do, in the
short term. I helped one lady with a bad golf cart cable. She was
trying to crimp on a new lug, but had no proper crimper. I soldered
it.

nb