Posted to alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Straightforward out-of-the-box solution for extending WiFi range

On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 06:42:58 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
wrote:

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 19:43:15 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

Interesting. I've got SNMP on all the Ubiquit radios, and,

I had SNMP turned on all along in the rooftop radio; but
I'm not sure how to take advantage of it.

Also, you seem to have missed my last message on SNMP.
https://groups.google.com/forum/message/raw?msg=alt.internet.wireless/fMLTzEHlzE8/B_-qhgqAXGcJ
You can't do much with the free version of PRTG, but it's an easy
start. If not, go find another MIB browser.
http://www.ireasoning.com/mibbrowser.shtml
or SNMP graphing program.
http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
If you have a web server handy, use RRDTool and a template for Cacti
such as:
http://docs.cacti.net/usertemplate:host:scgrab:ubiquiti
http://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMax-General-Discussion/Cacti-Host-template-for-AirOS-5-5/td-p/331019
Note that the Ubiquiti supplied MIB for the various models is rather
limited, but does work for most common things. The rest will need to
be scraped from various configuration web page until Ubiquiti decides
to update the MIBs.

Or, you can have someone else do the monitoring for you:
http://www.odmon.com
Useless for troubleshooting a broken internet link because the data
goes over the internet.

I set up the radio, but, I also provided my password to
my WISP; and I know he logged in and rebooted the radio
a few times when I first set it up because he had warned
me that he was going to "adjust" some settings.

With SNMP, I don't believe that he needs your admin password. The
SNMP read and write community name acts as a password.

So, he's using the SNMP, but I can't even spell it.

I've got a lot of reading to do, I guess, to take advantage
of whatever it does for me.

Most WISP's use SNMP in some form for remote management and
monitoring. You might ask him what software (probably Nagios) he's
using.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D