Posted to alt.home.repair
John G John G is offline

Default Splitting 240V

Dean Hoffman was thinking very hard :
On 12/28/13 9:05 PM, John G wrote:
After serious thinking wrote :
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 12:26:49 +1100, John G
wrote:

A small transformer might be an alternative to replacing a lot
of wiring etc.

A small transformer will not be TO CODE.

Why not?

The SMALL transformer would have to be as big as the circuit 10 or 20
amps or whatever and I dont think you will find that setup anywhere in
the NEC.
You cannot just pick a transformer to do your current (sic) job and put
a normal outlet on the end.
Anyway the low side of the transformer will not be tied to ground etc etc
DONT DO IT :-@ .

There are probably some correction factors to this but 125 volts times
20 amps equals 2500 watts. That's only 2.5 kva. A ten kva transformer is
probably a bit smaller than a five gallon bucket.
The two hot leads from the house supply the 240 and the shield would be
the equipment ground for the transformer. The secondary of the transformer
would be the 125 volt hot lead, and the neutral or grounded conductor if you
prefer. That wire would be tied to the transformer equipment ground right
in the transformer.
So what am I missing specifically?

Not accepted in any jurisdiction I know of for fixed wireing..
Neutral must be ONLY tied to GROUND at entry panel and ground must not
be used as a current carrier.
DONT DO IT :-@ .

--
John G