Posted to alt.home.repair
Gordon Shumway Gordon Shumway is offline

Default Solder or crimp ??

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 18:27:56 -0700, Ashton Crusher
wrote:

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 19:08:06 -0500, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

This article says soldering is less desirable
than crimps for Anderson Power Pole terminals.

http://www.survivalblog.com/2013/12/...ectronics.html

I was taught that soldering is far better than crimp.
What's your thoughts?

The way I read the article he's talking about ONLY crimp versus ONLY
solder. Not crimp first then solder, which is what I do if I'm
looking for a belt and suspenders solution.

Correct, that's exactly what the article is about.

That said, I've read in
the past that a PROPERLY crimped connection does not need to be
soldered, the kind of crimp powerful crimping machines can make in a
manufacturing facility. The crimps I do at home, even with a decent
hand crimper tool, I don't consider the same quality as a factory
crimp. But many of those home crimps have lasted years and years with
no trouble...

A properly crimped connection doesn't need to be soldered if that
joint will never be stressed, if that joint will never be subjected to
moisture or vibration, if that joint will not be subjected to a
corrosive environment, if that joint is in a terminal that solder will
prevent the terminal from seating properly in its' housing, if that
joint...

There are a few more if's but I think you get the point. The biggest
"if" is being properly crimped. Unless it is done under controlled
conditions that will frequently not happen.

In the harnesses I designed for earth moving equipment for about 30
years all connections were crimped and soldered except the joints that
solder would prevent the terminal from seating properly in its'
housing. And that is exactly what I still do at home.