Posted to alt.home.repair
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Wood stove Q's

SteveB wrote:
On 12/27/2013 7:57 AM, EXT wrote:

I would be cautious about a flue damper as they can cause problems. A
fire that is burning well will find a way to get the smoke to get out
the stove if you try closing the flue, and it may smoke out the
room. I understand that a flue damper is used when cold to reduce
downdrafts that result in smelly air being drawn down the chimney,
or when hot to reduce a strong updraft that is causing the fire to
burn excessively hot.

Partially right. Downdrafts have a cause. Identify that cause, and
solve it, and you will get rid of the smoking. Sometimes, just
opening a door to the outside can cause a downdraft. If enough smoke
comes out to smoke out the room, you have waited too long to address
the problem, the flue may be plugged, or as I said, a door or window
is open somewhere. Or, could be the configuration of the house, or
the height of the top of the chimney in relation to other parts of
the structure that cause vortexes that can work against exhausting
gases. Also, it takes a little while for the stove to get hot, and
for the natural heating of air and steel to create the natural
updraft of warm air.
A word of caution here. Watch your chimney cap. Birds will nest in
there during the warmer months, and you won't know until you build a
fire. The birds will take off, but the nest will be there, creating
some blockage. I have a pipe, and I put hardware cloth around it so
they can't get in there. They like nesting in there.

Steve

My cap has a "screen" of stainless steel , holes in a piece of thin flat
stock . Small enough that I can't get a finger thru .
--
Snag

---