Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vacuum question

On 12/28/13 5:13 PM, SteveB wrote:

So far, with the species locally produced, I have not had a jamup in the
hose, unless you count the kinks in the hose where it restricts flow,
and then releases all the nuts once the kink is straightened. We do
have some "mammoth" pecans (a grade given by USDA for very large very
long pecans) but I have not personally vacuumed any of those yet, just
bought them from property owners. There is a local variety that is
round, and approaches 1 1/4" in diameter with the husk on. Those fly
right through the hose. I did have to make a vee shaped protector for
the air filter that the nuts hit at full speed before dropping into the
body of the vacuum. I am using a very large Shop-Vac model, and have a
Craftsman with two motors that I can use on top of 55 gal barrels, but I
have not tried that one yet, as it has a bad hose, and I have not
replaced it yet. It does have awesome suction, more than the Shop-Vac,
so it will be interesting when I do try it. It will also be easier if
my long hose idea works, and I can suck them directly into 55 gal
barrels, and change barrels quickly, and leave the barrels on the truck
or trailer. The collapsible style hose will compress slightly when at
high vacuum, while PVC would not. As I say, so far, so good.

Steve

There are larger vacs made for handling grain. One brand is
Walinga. I don't know if the hoses would work for your use but they
might be worth looking at for ideas if nothing else. I think they use
sections of aluminum pipe for longer distances and just use the hose at
the ends.