Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Wood stove Q's

On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 06:52:37 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

That makes sense . That way all the heat doesn't go into heating/drying
the fuel .

Since the wood is near the stove, over time it will dry more and be
easier to burn, but that can take a couple of weeks. Never try to
burn one big log. If you watch two logs, they sort of feed off of
each other for a good burn.

I tried one big log before I added the hallway into the camper , didn't
work out so well but then we weren't depending on the stove for heat . Now
I'm splitting anything ove about 6" diameter , bigger gets quartered . I
hesitate to split it too small , because I don't really know how small is
"too small" . Most of the firewood is stacked outside , I guess I need a
larger inside pile . I'm going to concentrate on standing dead trees as much
as I can the rest of this winter , and plan better for next year .

I think you are on your way to running a good hot stove. The more
inside time for the wood, the better. It will add needed humidity to
the living area and dry the wood for a better burn. Just watch out
for bugs as they can come out of dormancy when warmed.

I found that a mix of small and large logs works best as the small
ones burned easily while heating the larger ones. It may take you a
couple of weeks to get it figured out, but you will as you try things
and see how they work.

As an experiment, put aside a half dozen pieces of wood for at least a
few weeks to a month. You'll see the difference in that time. Use
them on a really cold day at the end of January or in February.