Posted to alt.home.repair
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Wood stove Q's

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 10:27:21 -0600, "Snag" wrote:

The flue is clean all the way to the top . The used pipe was
thoroughly cleaned before I installed it .

Good, that eliminates one part of the potential problem.

Your observation that the fire isn't as hot
as it should be may have merit , however . I do know the stove is
capable of massive output , my neighbor up the hill has an identical
stove and it heats his whole house nicely .
Maybe my solution is to feed it less and more often ? I know that
Patrick neighbor loads his up and turns the control all the way to
"cool" and has no problems like the one I'm having - and night
before last I did just that and we were toasty-warm all night . Last
night I did the same and it was way cooler than I wanted this
morning . Mama wasn't happy ... And my wood is stacked about 3 feet
from the stove , for just the reason you suggested that . I just
hope I get this thing under control before the wife strangles me !

Getting a good fire going is important. If this is your first
experience, it will take some time to get things right. Start out
with about 1/4 to 1/3 full and get the fire going well. Once heated,
add a bit more wood to fill it to no more than 1/2 to 2/3 full. The
fire will use some of its energy to get the new wood dried and heated,
ready to burn. Then you can finally fill it up for the night.

That makes sense . That way all the heat doesn't go into heating/drying
the fuel .

Since the wood is near the stove, over time it will dry more and be
easier to burn, but that can take a couple of weeks. Never try to
burn one big log. If you watch two logs, they sort of feed off of
each other for a good burn.

I tried one big log before I added the hallway into the camper , didn't
work out so well but then we weren't depending on the stove for heat . Now
I'm splitting anything ove about 6" diameter , bigger gets quartered . I
hesitate to split it too small , because I don't really know how small is
"too small" . Most of the firewood is stacked outside , I guess I need a
larger inside pile . I'm going to concentrate on standing dead trees as much
as I can the rest of this winter , and plan better for next year . I had
seriously considered using electricity to heat this year , but after seeing
last month's bill I'm glad I went wood . More work , but then I have more
time than anything else . In about 6 weeks I'll be able to draw SS , which
will help keep the wolf at the door at bay ... and a damn good thing ,
because when tourist season is over up here everything else gets really slow
too .
--
Snag

---