Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

woodchucker wrote:
On 12/27/2013 7:52 PM, Bill wrote:
Doug Miller wrote:
Bill wrote in
:

I tried to pick up some Lexan at a Borg today, but did not score
(that's
a little glass humor...).
As far as I know, the only places in Indy where you can buy
polycarbonate plastic (Lexan) a
-- Meyer Plastics on E. 65th St., 1/2 mi west of Binford Blvd
-- Auburn Plastics on Shadeland Ave, 1/4 mi north of I-70

Thank you for the suggestion Doug. Meyer Plastics only sells full
(4'x8') sheets, besides their custom work--which I think is their
bread and butter. But there was 4 square feet of 1/4" "Bayer"
Makrolon (polycarbonate),ISO-9000:2001, (made by Sheffield Plastics)
in their cut-off bin and they sold it to me at an excellent price.
I'm not sure of the properties of the stuff, but I have little doubt
that it even more adequate than the 1/8" Makrolon GP (general
purpose?) that I went there after. So now, I feel like I have a fine
a piece of exotic material, but thicker than I expected to get, and I
will have to further consider how I am going to work it (where is a
router table when you need one?) But at least now I know (or think)
God is behind me on this one!

Fortunately, I was introduced to sanding polycarbonate (I think) when
I was about 11 years old in the Boy Clubs of America (now the Boys &
Girls Clubs of America).

I doubt I would have found the facility before it closed without help
from my Garmin GPS device (highly recommended to those who haven't
tried one).
Excuse me for writing so much this week--my wife will be returning
tomorrow!

Bill

Not sure of the price you paid, but 1/4" will be very useful.
Consider that it would be great for many projects.
Now if you are using this for the blade guard, consider making the
arms long, so that you can counterbalance the weight of the guard if
the guard comes out heavy. The counter weight would make guard
lighter. This is not hard to re-engineer Bill, everything we do in
life we must adjust to the situation.

Thanks Jeff. Here is a link to a video showing the *actual guard* I
want to make. The linkage and support are separate projects. Notice
that the top of the guard never moves (while sawing).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZOO_zcpNM

Bill