nestork nestork is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Lurndal View Post
You'd be better off just running the 'internet machine' as a virtual
machine on the same machine as the business system. The virtual machine
can be reinstalled anytime, just like real hardware. See VirtualBox.
No, I wouldn't.

While you may be technically correct, you need to realize that I don't understand what a "virtual machine" is, and so I wouldn't know whether a virus picked up on the virtual web surfing computer inside my business computer could somehow migrate into my business computer and cause me a lot of problems. And if I don't KNOW for sure that can't happen, I'm not willing to take the risk.

By having two separate machines, then I'm at least technically savvy enough to know that computer viruses are not contagious, and can't migrate from one computer to the next by mere virtue of their proximity to one another. I always use my old computers for surfing anyway, and so it doesn't cost me anything to use a separate computer for internet surfing. But, it greatly reduces my chances of getting a virus on my business computer if I use a completely separate computer for web surfing.

So, I'd be better off with two separate computers because I'd sleep better and not have to worry about viruses.

I think I'm just going to buy a good quality 4 port USB KVM switch, and keep reformatting the hard drive on my surfing computer if and when I collect any viruses and/or malware. That's a simple solution that I understand and that has worked very effectively for me for many years.

Last edited by nestork : December 28th 13 at 01:10 AM