Posted to uk.d-i-y
robgraham robgraham is offline

Default Door Bells

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 7:44:28 PM UTC, polygonum wrote:
I have an urgent need for a new door bell/chime.

It needs to be loud, and have a flashing light. And I need to be able to

buy one in the South Bucks area tomorrow, or Winchester area on

Saturday. And fit it very quickly and easily.

Doorchimes.co.uk helpfully points this out:

" The only wireless models to meet the 90db level are the 200m versions

of the Friedland Libra+ range, the D911S, D914S, D917b, D917c and the

additional chime model D917S. "

So am thinking of the D914S.

Any suggestions? Have been looking at obvious sites such as B&Q, Argos,

Homebase, distasteful though they may be. And various electrical chains.

But cannot find a definite stockist to ring tomorrow!

--

Rod

I bought a Byron SX15 some time ago - it's a wireless bell system rather than a chime, and is much louder than a chime. After a while the wireless button seemed to get more and more unreliable and a dismantle was called for to find out why.

The problem is that the external press button module has two button batteries in a stack. They are not in a sealed package so moisture is around and carries in impurities that break the conductive path between the cells erratically.

I was fortunate in that some time previously the bell switch hole in the door frame had a wire in it that I was able to trace to the attic. I fitted a new sealed pushbutton at the door, and moved the wireless module to the attic with the wire hacked across its switch. This is great as the bell module now works throughout the house and can be put where it can be heard best..

Rob