Posted to alt.home.repair
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Wood stove Q's

philo wrote:
On 12/27/2013 08:42 AM, Snag wrote:
OK , the stove produces massive quantities of heat - sometimes .
This morning it wasn't doing so great , like it couldn't breath . I
got a wire and cleaned the ashes from the grate from below , and now
it's once again producing a lot of heat . I don't think I should
have to go thru that every day , but don't know why it's plugging
like that . I burn only oak , white and red . Unfortunately it's not
well seasoned , as I didn't really plan to heat with wood . Is that
maybe why it's plugging ? This is a King Circulator stove ,
controlled supposedly by a thermo spring that opens and closes an
inlet damper . I plan on picking up a flue damper today to install ,
as I'm much more familiar with that method of control . I just know
that we can't continue this overheat then freeze cycle we've been
experiencing .

You need to use seasoned wood and keep your flue cleaned.

Did you miss the part where I said this was a late-breaking decision ?
Next year we'll be using seasoned wood , this year it's whatever I can get -
a few trees I cut for the construction cut abt 3 mo ago and standing dead
trees from the woods around us . And the flue IS clean .

If you don't take such common sense measures you will end up with a
fire in the flue and burn your whole place down.

I've seen a flue fire , believe me when I say that ain't likely to happen
, because I'm monitoring the creosote buildup . None to speak of so far ,
but we've only been using the stove for about 2 weeks .

As to the grate: Yes you have to keep it clean.

I'm new to thuis type of stove , last wood burner I used was a potbelly
stove with a grate you shook . Looks like I'll have to fab some implements
Snag

---