Posted to alt.home.repair
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Wood stove Q's

EXT wrote:
"Snag" wrote in message
OK , the stove produces massive quantities of heat - sometimes .
This morning it wasn't doing so great , like it couldn't breath . I
got a wire and cleaned the ashes from the grate from below , and now
it's once again producing a lot of heat . I don't think I should
have to go thru that every day , but don't know why it's plugging
like that . I burn only oak , white and red . Unfortunately it's not
well seasoned , as I didn't really plan to heat with wood . Is that
maybe why it's plugging ? This is a King Circulator stove ,
controlled supposedly by a thermo spring that opens and closes an
inlet damper . I plan on picking up a flue damper today to install ,
as I'm much more familiar with that method of control . I just know
that we can't continue this overheat then freeze cycle we've been
experiencing . --
Snag

I would be cautious about a flue damper as they can cause problems. A
fire that is burning well will find a way to get the smoke to get out
the stove if you try closing the flue, and it may smoke out the room.
I understand that a flue damper is used when cold to reduce
downdrafts that result in smelly air being drawn down the chimney, or
when hot to reduce a strong updraft that is causing the fire to burn
excessively hot.

This stove has gaskets on both the fire box door and on the door to access
the ash pan . It seals up very well , I don't expect any smoke problems from
adding a flue damper too .
--
Snag

---