Posted to alt.home.repair
philo [_2_] philo [_2_] is offline

Default General computer question

On 12/25/2013 05:11 PM, nestork wrote:

OK, I'm convincing myself that technology has changed, and that trying
to keep using that PS2 KVM switch is going to continue to be an uphill
battle.

Probably the most practical solution is to buy a USB KVM switch, USB
mouse and USB keyboard.

But, isn't it likely that in 5 or 10 years, USB ports are going to
become obsolete, and I'll be in much the same situation all over again?
If that's the case, I might be better off to just wait to see what's
likely to replace USB ports, and see if I can get a KVM switch that uses
that kind of port. The other side of the coin is that there are so many
peripherals that use USB that it's likely that computer makers will have
USB ports on their computers for a very long time because there will
continue to be a demand for them for a long time. So far as I know, it
was only mice and keyboards that used PS2 ports. Nowadays, everything,
including printers, cell phones and digital cameras use one kind of USB
port or another.

Yes, if both of you machines are USB only you might as well get a
USB-capable KVM now.