Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General computer question

On 12/25/2013 9:52 AM, wrote:
On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 07:44:04 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

On 12/24/2013 11:40 PM,
wrote:
On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:39:44 -0600, philo
wrote:

On 12/24/2013 07:23 PM,
wrote:

I never trust my data to less than three separate HD's.

SSD's are good in that they have no moving parts to wear
out but they do have a limited number of read/ writes.

Right now, the only one I have is on a laptop I rarely
use.

The thing is, when an SSD does fail, it can do so with no
warning.

With a conventional drive there is usually some type of
warning first such as a SMART error, developing bad
sectors or R/W errors.
I've had as many "hard " failures on hard drives as "soft"
failures. Work perfectly one minute - and totally useless the
next.

Only once have I gotten on my bench a standard HD that went
into instant failure mode.

I lucked out and found an SMT cap. with a cracked solder joint
and repaired it.

The next day I gave the owner of the machine a very severe
lecture on making backups!
Of the last 5 HD failures I've had come in, 2 were "hard", one
had been slow for months, and the other one had occaisionally
had access problems, which, in hindsight, were a warning. Because
it would generally boot on the second reboot other problems were
suspected - not the drive. When it quit completely, the drive
could not be accessed even as a second drive. Not sure if a new
drive would have fixed it completely as we junked the computer.

I'm getting into solid state drives but the only mechanical hard
drives I buy are enterprise class drives designed to run 24/7. The
drives cost a little more and I haven't had any of them gronk on
me. ^_^

TDD

Most I work with are enterprise too - which is why out of about42?
drives in the one office I've had 2 or 3 failures in the last 5
years. The machines get replaced at about 7 years.

In my experience over 4 decades or so, is that "heat" is the enemy of
any electronic gear especially computer systems. I have a program on the
workstation I'm using right now that keeps an eye on all the
temperatures and overall health of the drives in my system. I just mouse
over the icon and a window pops up with the temps. If I double click, it
opens the main window to give me a detailed report on the S.M.A.R.T.
data. It's "Ashampoo HDD Control" I got it for free at Give Away Of The
Day when it was up on their site. HDD Control 2 is now available from
Ashampoo. ^_^

http://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/pin/0...oo-HDD-Control

http://preview.tinyurl.com/29vkna4

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/