Posted to alt.home.repair

Default General computer question

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 19:14:07 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 20:26:52 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 14:14:37 -0800, Oren wrote:

On Tue, 24 Dec 2013 15:00:29 -0500,
wrote:

So, for your situation... bottom line.... TeamViewer. It's a
no-brainer as far as I can see.

The only problem with team viewer and any other "software" solution
is booting the computer if it is on a network or requires entry of a
password or any other keyboard input to boot.

Wake-on-LAN: Wake up your computers remotely
whenever you need access.

That is "wake". How do you START the computer with no keyboard or
mouse (or monitor to knoow if it HAS started)?

That is the "Wake-on-LAN". A packet hits the adapter and tells the
unit to get out of bed

Windows® system service: Install TeamViewer as a Windows system
service and access remote computers directly after starting Windows
and before the Windows login.

Might work - but it sounds too much like VMWare with no monitor to me.
If it doesn't work you have no idea what didn't work.

So you investigate, right?

Yup. By connecting a monitor, keyboard and mouse.
Not a problem for me because I have a 4 port KVM on my home setup.
Have a 5 port at the office which was great with the hypoer-v server,
but is not a whole lot of use since we switched to VMware. Now I have
a laptop on my desk and I have to RDP into the box to do anything at
all.

Remote reboot: Restart computers remotely –
even in safe mode.

http://www.teamviewer.com/en/res/pdf/TeamViewer-Remote-Control-Brochure-en.pdf