Posted to alt.home.repair
mike[_22_] mike[_22_] is offline

Default General computer question

On 12/24/2013 4:01 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/24/2013 04:46 PM, nestork wrote:
'philo*[_2_ Wrote:
;3171940']
BTW: Rather than reload Windows in the event of a major problem...since

hard drives are so cheap, why not just clone you drive. It's a good
backup precaution.

I think I'm already one step ahead of you.

On my business computer, the program I use to do 99% of my business with
(Microsoft Works) and all of the files I use are on a 128 GB solid state
drive that plugs in to a USB port on the front of that computer.

Not clear what you mean. If the SSD merely holds the files, you're
probably safe.
If it hosts the operating system, you've got stuff to worry about.
Especially if you didn't add the SSD tweaks to optimize the system
to minimize writes.

So, if anything ever happened to that computer, I could simply plug that
drive into my other computer. I'd just have to move the printer cable
to my other computer, and I'd be back up and running.

I understand that solid state drives are considerably more reliable than
conventional hard drives because they don't have a motor and magnetic
platter. They're basically just a huge flash drive.

I think that's true if you bang 'em around a lot and never write 'em.

I never trust my data to less than three separate HD's.

SSD's are good in that they have no moving parts to wear out but they do
have a limited number of read/ writes.

Right now, the only one I have is on a laptop I rarely use.

The thing is, when an SSD does fail, it can do so with no warning.

With a conventional drive there is usually some type of warning first
such as a SMART error, developing bad sectors or R/W errors.