J T

Default Replacing gunnel on my canoe (slightly OT)

Sat, Jul 17, 2004, 11:01pm lid (J.=A0Clarke) says a
lot:
snipped

Well, I've certainly got no response to any of that. You
obviously are an expert, know everything there is to know about it all,
and apparently everything I know, or learned, or heard, or thought, is
wrong.

But, seeing as you called me on my spelling, you spelled "who",
when it probably should have been "how". And, it was not exterior
plywood.

It was entertaining for awhile, and enlightening.

What would you advise using, to make a wooden boat, in the 15-18
foot range:
Wood, adhesives, fasteners, protective coating, etc.?

Oh, yes, it would live on a trailer, except when in the water,
would not be overnight in the water, be covered when not in use, and be
checked weekly for water insited the boat, whether used or not. Would
be used on lakes, probably rivers, and need to be able to be run up on
banks, landings, possibly run up (accidently) on a submerged stump or
rock - not faster than a slow trolling speed - without being holed
(minor leakage from such a collision would be acceptable, as it would
not deter getting back to the landing). I'd like your expertise on
that. And, boat design suggestion too, I want something that looks good,
and works right - but no sailboat, something to take up to a 10 HP
outboard. Obviously none of my ideas on the subkect are worth Jack, so
I need expert advice, before I commit to any materials purchasing, or
boatbuilding, because I obviously can't trust my sons' lives to my
knowledge, or lack thereof, of building boats. Help me Obi-Wan.

JOAT

We've got a lot of experience of not having any experience.
- Nanny Ogg