Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breakers compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load Center

On Monday, December 23, 2013 11:21:08 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 19:49:02 +0000, Let's get it right!

wrote:

replying to , Let's get it right! wrote:

trader4 wrote:

What 15 ampere label? I just looked at a cordless phone base

station, a hair dryer, a Breville electric kettle, and a Brother

multi-function copier/printer. All say UL listed, 120 V, 60 Hz

and the amps/watts, the printer being 9.6A. No where does it

say that it can't be plugged into an outlet that is on a 20 amp

circuit. So, what label exactly are you referring to? If this

is such a danger, then is should be easy to find a user manual

for any of this common appliances that says not to plug it into

a circuit that is greater than 15 amps. I've yet to see one.

Surely you're not

What "it" is that? There is nothing on my appliances labels or

instructions that I'm ignoring. It shows they are UL listed,

120V 50/60 hz, 5 amps, 600 watts, that's all.

You must be a troll. Do you not realize that 20 amp circuits with

15 amp outlets are permitted in the NEC and that they are being

installed by licensed electricians in millions of houses? And

passed by the electrical inspectors?

And you have yet to explain the alleged fire/shock hazard that this

presents compared to a simple floor lamp that uses an 18 gauge cord

on a 15 amp circuit.

Nonsense. There are standard ratings for circuit breakers of

100 amp too, so what? You really are confused.

I just did. I'm waiting for you to show us an appliance manual for

any commonly used household appliances that say that it can only

be used on a 15 amp circuit. I've read many of them over decades and

I don't ever recall seeing any such thing. Cite please.

You missed the point. Even if the label say 0.1 amperes, it's appropriate

to apply the device to a branch circuit of not more than 15-amperes, the

smallest standard size breaker ... which provides the maximum protection..

Nothing was missed either by me or the others here, like CL, none
of whom agree with you. Like most people, I plug most appliances, lamps,
etc into whatever receptable is closest and convenient. Exceptions
would be if it were a large load and then I would consider what else
is on the circuit. The folks who write the NEC obviously understand
that and they are OK with putting 15 amps receptacles on 20 amp
circuits. If you disagree, as Bud suggested, feel free to take it
up with them.

And my point is that if this is in fact a safety issue, that you
should not plug a 1 amp device into an outlet on a 20 amp circuit,
why exactly doesn't any device manual say that? Curious thing.
They have all kinds of safety warnings, but I don't ever recall one
for an appliance, light, etc saying "Warning! Not to be used on a
circuit with a breaker larger than 15 amps" Can he show us some
examples?

Goggle McMaster Carr, Three conductor indoor/outdoor extension cords.

Nearly all are rated at a maximum of 10 to 15 amperes at 125 VAC. A

20-ampere circuit breaker will not protect such devices. A 15-ampere

circuit breaker will.

A 15 amp breaker will no more protect a 10 amp cord than a 20 will

protect a 15 amp cord

Right. You could overload a 10 amp cord on a 15 amp breaker by 33%.
If you put a 15 amp cord on to a circuit with a 20 amp breaker, you
only overload it by 25%.

Just because this is the way it's been done in millions of houses doesn't

make it right. In fact, it supports my argument (Get it Right).

You cannot legislate intelligence

As Bud suggested, he should take that up with the NEC and UL who are
obviously OK with it.