Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Breakers compatible with Federal Pacific Stab-Lok Load Center

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 19:49:02 +0000, Let's get it right!
wrote:

replying to , Let's get it right! wrote:
trader4 wrote:

What 15 ampere label? I just looked at a cordless phone base
station, a hair dryer, a Breville electric kettle, and a Brother
multi-function copier/printer. All say UL listed, 120 V, 60 Hz
and the amps/watts, the printer being 9.6A. No where does it
say that it can't be plugged into an outlet that is on a 20 amp
circuit. So, what label exactly are you referring to? If this
is such a danger, then is should be easy to find a user manual
for any of this common appliances that says not to plug it into
a circuit that is greater than 15 amps. I've yet to see one.
Surely you're not
What "it" is that? There is nothing on my appliances labels or
instructions that I'm ignoring. It shows they are UL listed,
120V 50/60 hz, 5 amps, 600 watts, that's all.
You must be a troll. Do you not realize that 20 amp circuits with
15 amp outlets are permitted in the NEC and that they are being
installed by licensed electricians in millions of houses? And
passed by the electrical inspectors?
And you have yet to explain the alleged fire/shock hazard that this
presents compared to a simple floor lamp that uses an 18 gauge cord
on a 15 amp circuit.

Nonsense. There are standard ratings for circuit breakers of
100 amp too, so what? You really are confused.

I just did. I'm waiting for you to show us an appliance manual for
any commonly used household appliances that say that it can only
be used on a 15 amp circuit. I've read many of them over decades and
I don't ever recall seeing any such thing. Cite please.

You missed the point. Even if the label say 0.1 amperes, it's appropriate
to apply the device to a branch circuit of not more than 15-amperes, the
smallest standard size breaker ... which provides the maximum protection..

Goggle McMaster Carr, Three conductor indoor/outdoor extension cords.
Nearly all are rated at a maximum of 10 to 15 amperes at 125 VAC. A
20-ampere circuit breaker will not protect such devices. A 15-ampere
circuit breaker will.

A 15 amp breaker will no more protect a 10 amp cord than a 20 will
protect a 15 amp cord

Just because this is the way it's been done in millions of houses doesn't
make it right. In fact, it supports my argument (Get it Right).

You cannot legislate intelligence