Posted to alt.home.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default 3-way LEDs... at last?

"=" wrote:
"bud--" wrote in message
b.com...
On 12/18/2013 12:36 PM, = wrote:
"philo wrote in message
On 12/17/2013 10:29 AM, Scott Lurndal wrote:
writes:
On 12/17/2013 07:59 AM, Nate Nagel wrote:
Anyone seen these?

http://ledsmagazine.com/news/10/11/13

The other day, I complained here about the lack of availability of a
decent LED to replace an incandescent and was informed they do exist.

Went to the h/w store today and yep, they do exist but at $50 each I
think I'll skip it.

Feit A-19's are about $13 at costco. R-30's are about the same.

In my wife's studio she uses six, full spectrum fluorescent tubes

and three spotlights with 100 watt incandescent "Reveal" bulbs.

The full spectrum LEDs are quite expensive so I bought enough "Reveal"
incandescents to last several years...and hopefully the price will come
down. For the rest of the house any standard bulb will do ...so will
eventually get switched over to LEDs

I have a seldom used antique chandelier in the living room of our 19th
century home...and that one uses antique reproduction incandescents
which
I will be keeping.

There are "Reveal" CFL and LED bulbs now -- also more expensive. Those
bulbs reduce the amount of yellow light so other colors appear brighter,
especially reds. Complexion tones improve too, so they make people look
healthy even if they aren't. I call it theatrical lighting for the home.

Tomsic

I tended to think of "Reveal" as one of the lighting scams, so I looked
for some information:

From GE Reveal - "100W replacement"
1120 initial lumens
[1600 is a reasonable lumen figure for a 100W bulb]

using 28% less energy than regular incandescent
[giving you 30% less light]

CRI 100
["filters out dull, yellow rays" and they have a high CRI?
according to
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/22418166
(digital photography review)
the CRI is about 70
"Unscrupulous bulb mongers push these horrible bulbs at many different
groups."]

delivers outstanding energy efficiency
[Reveal 1120L/72W = 15.6L/W
real incandescent 1600L/100W = 16L/W
filtering the yellow lowers the efficiency]

1000h rated life
[750h for a normal incandescent - they actually didn't lie about this one]

IMHO Reveal is a scam. Did I miss something?
==========================

I was just looking for 100W light bulbs for a garage. CFLs aren't good
because of the cold. LEDs probably aren't available in 100W, and are not a
particularly good choice for bulbs that aren't used much. That leaves
halogen. For 3 brands the "100W equivalent" was in reality a 75W
equivalent. I agree with philo that this is consumer fraud.

Why aren't they prosecuted?

Look at the ratings of those products again. The 100 watt standard
incandescent bulb has a rating of 1600 lumens and so does the 72 watt
halogen equivalent. It's the light output (lumens), not the watts that are
"equivalent". As I indicated in another post, all of these ratings and
phase-out issues were negotiated by the lamp companies and energy advocates.
The government (Congress and the DOE) didn't get involved until EISA 2007
passed in Congress.

All of these bulbs have to have a "Lighting Facts" label. If you can show
that any of the ratings don't match what the label says, you have a case and
should alert the FTC. They're the light bulb police.

As for the Reveal bulb, what's wrong with a less efficient bulb that gives
better color light as long as the numbers are there so the consumer can see
them. Before GE and others started making the Reveal and other
color-enhanced bulbs, they were specialty products known as "neodymium
bulbs". Then the big companies caught on to the fact that there was a
market. Consumers liked the color.

Tomsic

That about sums up the reveal bulbs I tried. I don't currently have a use
now. Not great for room lights.

Greg