Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike M Mike M is offline

Default Blade guard

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013 19:11:18 -0500, Bill
wrote:

Bill wrote:
I never claimed to by a physicist or engineer, but I have found myself
trying to think like one in recent days.

By borrowing from numerous sources and integrating a couple ideas of
my own, I drew up a blade guard design and assembly which suits my
present purposes.

It relies however on a short vertical beam being supported ("hung") by
a short supported length of 2by4. The shot vertical beam may consist
of a short length of square steel tubing, a short length of 2by4
material, or similar.

I would like to be able to MOVE the beam along the length of the 2by4
(for horizontal adjustment). My question is: Is there a familiar
hardware item that will help me with this? All it needs to do is wrap
("hook") around the 2by4 and provide a means to attach what I want.
It seems "definitely related" to a joist hanger, but seems to be
something different. The joist hangers that I have seen do not have
"hooks to wrap around the top of the support" (probably because that
would not evenly distribute the "load" in general).

BTW, I AM striving to be mindful of "torsional" forces.

Bill

It occurred to me that a regular joist hanger slung over the supported
2by4, sort of fits my request--but would not be nearly strong enough
(to have things hanging from, without screws, nails, etc.)

Just a question as it seems like your planning to mount your guard to
the ceiling, Since you went to great trouble to get the mobile base
under the saw, are you planning on moving the saw regularly? If so
you might be ahead to look at how Biesemeyer does there overhead
guard. If I read correct your copying their gurard but mounting it to
the ceiling. If you can weld it would be easy to fabricate one that
attaches to your table, other wise when you move the saw out of the
way you have an obstacle to walk into. If you don't plan on moving
the saw again then it wouldn't matter. I just checked the price on
the system now and I can understand why you don't want to just buy
one. Starting to realize what a good deal I got when I bought my used
unisaw.

Mike M