Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Sickening sweet smell in basement. Dead mouse????

jason wrote:
replying to Dirk Puslich, jason wrote:
dirk_puslich wrote:

Hello,
I just moved into an old house (build in the 1920s) with a finished
basement (finished about 10 years ago).
About a month ago we noticed a sickly sweet smell around the back
wall. It doesn't smell musty, but it is quite strange and we don't
like it. It seems to almost go away and then come back stronger
sometimes.
The former owner had some mouse poison out so my theory is that one or
more mice might have died in the wall and are causing the funk.
My problem is that I don't know what a dead mouse smells like, so I'm
not sure if that is it. It's hard to describe the smell but there is
definitely a "sweetness" to it, but not a "mmm someone's making pie"
kind of sweet, but one that is somehow unpleasant.
My 2 questions:
1) Is this a dead animal in my wall perhaps?
2) Anyone have any idea how long it will last?
It's driving me nuts so I'm thinking about busting holes in the
drywall this weekend.
Thanks!

Yes I know exactly what you are talking about. We just started renting a
house, and had someone come and set some traps all around.
We went away for a week, and came back to the same smell in the basement.
Sometimes stronger than others.
At first I thought it was the garbage but after we took it out the smeller
lingered days later.
Today I had the man come back and there were mice caught EVERYWHERE. He
plugged a hole in the outer wall so hopefull that will help, but please
don't let people tell you its not a mouse because it probably is.

--

I had a nasty smell in my storage shed. I don't know if I'd call it "sweet"
but it sure was unpleasant. Luckily it was easy for me to find the cause.

I started to empty the shed looking for something dead and one of the first
things I picked up was a crumbled up lawn & leaf bag that was crammed into
a corner. As soon as I picked it up I realized that it seemed heavier than
it should be. The human mind it funny like that. How much does a dead mouse
weigh...not much, right? Yet as soon as I picked up the plastic bag, I knew
it didn't feel right. I unfolded it and a dead mouse fell out. I tossed it
in the woods, left the shed doors opened for about 24 hours and the smell
was gone.