Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Affordable basic DSl service

wrote:

I would like to upgrade my dialup service which I presently have with
1access.net to DSL. We had DSL through the local phone company in the past
at 1MB/s for 35.00 per month and we were told that rate was the cheapest
they could offer us. We have since learned that other providers can also
offer us DSL over an existing phone line. So far 1ccess is the only
provider that says that they can offer it for around 25.00 a month but for
some reason they can't guarantee that it will work from my location.

Been there, done that.
The problem is that while federal law requires the phone co. (owners
of the copper wire) to open up the wire to other vendors, they don't
require them to provide the 3rd party DSL vendor with any level of
quality. I had DirecTV DSL on a Southwestern Bell phone line, and when
AT&T bought SW Bell, the line quality dropped badly, even phone service
was bad. When the DSL wouldn't work, DirecTV said they couldn't make
AT&T fix the lines, in fact they couldn't even ASK!!! AT&T to see if they
could improve it. So, I had to move to a cable modem.

Jon