Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default PING Chairman - OT

On Monday, December 23, 2013 12:06:55 AM UTC-6, ChairMan wrote:
I'm building a custom sectional(136"x 102") that has to go on a truck to Florida in January http://s1241.photobucket.com/user/ch...?sort=3&page=1

All your pieces are very nice, excellent work. The alignment on the ottoman must have taken some time and patience to match, so well, that way.

Are you using a walking foot machine or a presser foot?

I learned upholstery at the local tech school and just before finishing the program (2007), I bought 4 machines, w/ table & motors, at the state surplus auction, each requiring just a little repair: A Pfaff, a Juki, and a Singer single and a double needle machine. I use the Singer single needle walking foot and have a few different presser feet. I gave the Pfaff to the repairman in exchange for repairing the others. I have never used the double needle machine and am considering selling it. I gave the Juki to my sister.

Later, I bought a Rex (Artisan) and use it as a backup, if/when the Singer is malfunctioning (rarely). I can, generally, repair my machines.

I had bought a Singer 3o" longarm, but it was a monster, 4'X 8' table, head weighed 250 lbs., I never used it, so I sold it. The opportunity to buy it, cheap, was there, so I got it. Like with woodworking, buy a tool if you need it, not just to have it, in case you need it. Anticipating needing it was my thinking, at the time.

It didn't take me long to realize I wanted to do upholstery as a hobby, only, so I didn't need a whole compliment of tools and such. I do mostly/only furniture, with an occassional auto, lawn mower, 4 wheeler seat repair.... additional projects, as that, and mostly for friends & relatives.

I've sewed 1-200 yds and more of double welt when wall upholstery was more popular. Talk about a pain in the ass and thinking you'll never see the end of it

I'd hate to do that much double welting. That kind of work is beyond my hobby work. I do lots of upholstery for 3 decorators and I've never had anything approaching that much work. I think, when in-business upholsterers have too much work, the decorators give me particular jobs, because I can usually start on them immediately, since I don't have the backlog other upholsterers have. It helps that the decorators like my work, too, though I think I work much slower than the other guys (or seamstresses, i.e., slipcovers, etc.).

Make 2 if they work well and I'll buy one from ya My old hands can't take anymore Good luck

My hands aren't old, but they aren't as nimble or dexterous as they once were. I'll get to the jig making/remaking after New Years, unless Dali shows me something better.

Additionally:
The tech school, here, discontinued the upholstery program. The teacher called and let me know the school was to discard everything except the sewing machines and some hand tools. We went over there and collected almost everything being thrown out: Cutting tables, work tables, bolts of fabric, lots of other hand tools (framing squares, Klinch-It tool, etc.), cushion stuffers, all upholstery supplies (burlap, crinoline, dust cover, tacks, staples, coil & K arc springs, channel tins, button tops/bottoms, button cutters and dies, etc., etc,.... everything). I called other students to come get some, but they weren't interested. I collected several truck loads of stuff. I've yet to use lots of this stuff and a good bit is stashed in the garage attic of the woodshop.

Several months ago, the upholstery teacher and I noticed one of the school's embroidery machines (5 yrs old) was at the state surplus auction: a 36 spool $20K machine. We went to the auction. It sold for $3k. We're watching for the other (15 or so) sewing machines to show up, there.

Those first 4 machines I bought at the state auction, I paid $250 for all of them. A few months ago, I bought 6 Consew machines, w/table, motors, lamps, bobbin winder, for roughly $16 apiece. I kept 2, sold the other 4. I haven't had a chance to troubleshoot, in detail, the 2 I kept, but they seem to be in reasonable working order. They might need some timing adjusting, or the like.

Sonny