Posted to alt.home.repair

Default furnace BTU

On 12/22/2013 12:08 PM, wrote:
I have a 55 year old natural gas fired hot air furnace. Just a giant tin can with a flame in the can and air blowing around it. When we first bought the house 45 years ago, I redid the insulation in walls and attic. I noticed that the furnace was fired up only about 30% of the time even on subzero days. I took the orifice outof the gas nozzle, filled it in with solder, and then redrilled the nozzle so the cross-sectional area was 1/2 of what it had previously been. The flame was greatly reduced, of course, and I had to rebalance the gas - air flow using the adjuster that was part of the nozzle assembly. The furnace now does run longer, but my gas consumption based on degree days is much lower than it used to be.

Sounds like you can benefit from a heat gain
and loss survey, and a proprerly sized modern
90% efficiency furnace. That one has to be
a bit inefficient.

--
..
Christopher A. Young