Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default Blade guard

Bill wrote:
I never claimed to by a physicist or engineer, but I have found myself
trying to think like one in recent days.

By borrowing from numerous sources and integrating a couple ideas of
my own, I drew up a blade guard design and assembly which suits my
present purposes.

It relies however on a short vertical beam being supported ("hung") by
a short supported length of 2by4. The shot vertical beam may consist
of a short length of square steel tubing, a short length of 2by4
material, or similar.

I would like to be able to MOVE the beam along the length of the 2by4
(for horizontal adjustment). My question is: Is there a familiar
hardware item that will help me with this? All it needs to do is wrap
("hook") around the 2by4 and provide a means to attach what I want.
It seems "definitely related" to a joist hanger, but seems to be
something different. The joist hangers that I have seen do not have
"hooks to wrap around the top of the support" (probably because that
would not evenly distribute the "load" in general).

BTW, I AM striving to be mindful of "torsional" forces.

Bill

The item in the link below seems needlessly complex, but is pretty close
to what I need. It is upside down in the picture, compared to what I
have in mind. I'm sure I could cobble something together myself: Bend
a piece of sheet steel into a U (with square corners), so it fits over a
2by4. Drill holes through it for a couple of bolts underneath--done.
The holes would go through the "hanging beam". The only problem with
that is it might 'swing'. I need it steady--no pendulum.

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.as...FbBAMgodJXsASA